5.27.2010

Fire and Blood, but NO TEARS!

It was another late morning, but this morning I did not feel half as sick and I definitely had sufficient amount of time to get ready and out the door. It was rather cool and there was a constant drizzle of rain on the walk up to East Campus. Feeling a bit groggy this morning, I found myself less alert during the demonstration of apple pie filling/assembly and mini berry pie filling/assembly. Gathering my ingredients took a while and set me back in time. Luckily I was able to gain more time peeling my apples. While sautéing my apples in butter and with my burning on high as was suggested, I found it necessary to use a towel to save my hands from burning on the metal sauté pan. As I added the cornstarch, a critical step in the creation of apple pie filling, I did not realize that my towel was too close to the burner and it caught fire. It took me a while to notice the flames blaring from under my sleeve. As you can imagine, this one event threw me off for the rest of the period. Luckily chef was out of the room when it happened and someone no one else noticed. I threw away the towel and quickly finished my apples all the while thinking, "I DON'T EVEN LIKE PIES!  ARGH!" 

A little fidgety following the fire incident, I somehow brushed against my razor sharp knife during pie assembly and sliced open my left hand. OUCH!  Again, chef wasn’t around. Phew. I ran to the back of the lab and repaired my hand and quickly got back to work. I finished my blueberry filling (so good) and assembled three mini pies—two with crumble topping and one with a lattice top. Unfortunately, we were unable to bake any of them due to time. After a frustrating production day, I was thankful that I still managed to finish everything I needed to get done before the end of class. It was rough people!  We corrected our exams in my last hour class and I quickly returned home longing for my bed. After a short nap and a few iTunes purchases, I felt a lot better. Tomorrow I will bring home four different pies and two dozen chocolate chip and sour cream blueberry muffins. It should be good!  Better than today at least...

No comments:

Post a Comment